Follow

uencounter.me

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sketch of a Teacher (Professor Rizwan Qaiser) : I

Professor Rizwan Qaiser passed away recently. He was a scholar of Modern Indian History. The Pandemic claimed him. He is survived by his wife and son. He will be missed.

--------


With Sir, and my batchmates, at Bhimbetaka Caves
So, why is this blogger of heritage travel writing about a professor of Modern Indian history? Why is this inquirer of Medieval (Pre-Modern) Indian history writing about a professor whose teachings revolved around Indian Nationalism and Modern Indian figures? The answer to these questions lies in the journey this writer has taken ever since he started blogging on this platform.

This blog (and its writers' tryst with blogging) is over 11 years and counting. This period can be divided into 3 stages. The first stage, when I traveled across India for 4 years and blogged. The second stage, when I decided to take my love for history to the next level and go pro with it (read enter the world of academics). The third (and the current) stage, when I found a balance between my academic life and my blogging life.

Professor Rizwan Qaiser (or Rizwan Sir, as we called him) was an important figure in the second stage of this writer's life (in the world of travel, heritage, and history). I completed my Master's of Arts in History from Jamia Millia Islamia in 2017. During my time over there, he was the Head of the Department. I was lucky and also trussed up, by the fact that many luminary minds were teaching in the department of history (like Professor Azizuddin Husain, Professor R Gopinath, Professor Nishat Manzar, Professor A P Sen, Professor R P Bahuguna, and many more) at that point of time. Many of them were not easy on the kids. But, we knew that Rizwan Sir always had our backs. 

I remember one incident clearly. As part of my training in History, I had to learn about European History too. So, in one of the assignments, which I had submitted, my entire batch (apart from one or two kids) was blamed for plagiarism (without checking) by a strict professor (due to the folly of a few). I remember losing my cool over it because as a blogger, I understand the evil of plagiarism and would never partake in it (I empathize with those who stood in front of me that day, as I was in a complaining mode). 

We went to Professor Rizwan with our troubles and he intervened in that moment. In the end, the blanket charge of plagiarism was taken back. All this ended on a bittersweet note for me as the strict Professor gave me very good marks, both in the assignment and in the final exam. 

My memories of taking a course under Rizwan Sir are quite fond. The course was on Mahatma Gandhi. Rizwan Sir, through his lectures and my discussions with him on the subject, made me understand the Gandhian Concepts of Satyagraha, Antyodaya, etc. I would say it was Rizwan Sir, who explained to me what Mahatma Gandhi stood for.

As a teacher, he was articulate, had a firm grip on the subject, and most importantly, he was adept in breaking down concepts, incidents, and theories to make things understandable for the students.

As our time in Jamia came to an end he, at his own risk, as the Head of the Department (because the university was not forthcoming), lead a trip of us history students, to an excursion and exploration trip to Bhopal, Sanchi, Bhimbetka, Bhojpur, and Udayagiri Caves. It was an incredible learning experience. No amount of lectures can substitute an actual visit to a monument.

With Sir, and my batchmates, in Bhopal

Rizwan Sir's care and concern for students extended even after our batch had passed out. He arranged for one of his former students (an academic luminary) to help those who were preparing for the National Eligibility Test. I credit my clearing this test directly to this intervention.

In an era when some teachers are in it just to earn a living, in an era when some teachers have zero connection with history, in an era when some teachers view students as products on a production line (once they leave that line, they are forgotten) Rizwan Sir was one of those teachers who would always have time to sit and give his opinion, to students, or ex-students, whenever they were in a tough situation.

Across the country, he was well known for participating in television and radio debates across multiple forums. In such debates, he was always the voice of reason and logic. Being an ace debater himself, I once recalled him saying, 'these days it's almost as if people have taken steroids before coming to a tv debate!'. For the country, he was a television personality but for his students, he was their teacher.

His teachings on Mahatma Gandhi, Secularism, Maulana Azad, etc will live on through his students.

He will be missed.

May his Soul Rest in Peace. 

........

(This is the first article in a two part series. You can click this link to read the second article.

0 comments: