Follow

uencounter.me

Friday, June 4, 2021

The Qutub Minar - An Emotional Perspective!

Some unemotional facts first. Qutub Minar is the tallest brick minaret in the world. It is more than 800 years old. It is located in Delhi, the capital of India. It's architectural concept is Central Asian in origin, something unique to India. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is the second most visited monument in India, next only to the Taj Mahal.

....

So, what makes the Qutub Minar so special? Because it is 800 years old? Because of it's unique architecture? Because it is the highest brick minaret in the world? Because it is a UNESCO World Heritage site? Or, because the minaret has become a symbol of sorts for contemporary New Delhi. It could be one of the above reasons or it could be all of them. 

Qutub Minar, under the deep blue sky!

Numerous personalities across ages have been left spellbound by this monument. There is something about the monument that enchants the viewer. The dynasty which built this monument lost power in 1290 C.E. (Qutub Minar was built by the Mamluks). Yet, in the medieval era, rulers of other dynasties took a special interest in conserving the monument, especially Ferozeshah Tughlaq (r. 1351-1388 C.E.) and Sikandar Lodi (r. 1489-1519 C.E.). In the modern era, even the British Imperialists (under no obligation to maintain the monuments of India at that time) deployed engineers to repair the monument (it was struck by lightning in the early 1800's C.E.). 

Sir Syed Ahmed Khan (while researching for Asar us Sanadid, a famous book on monuments), without paying attention to his safety, made his manservants suspend him from a basket, while he sat in it, and swung him around from the great heights of the monument, so that he could make notes of the Quranic inscriptions engraved on it. So, when such towering and astute personalities have been left enchanted by this monument then perhaps the reader would excuse this humble writer for being ‘deeply’ enamored by this monument too. 

Qutub Minar is a monument which because of its height (Qutub Minar height - 72 meters), and the fact that it is surrounded by a protected forest from 3 sides, is one of the most visible monuments of South Delhi. It is easily visible from all the high rises in the neighboring colonies (Katwaria Sarai, Munirka, Mehrauli, etc)  provided they have a clear line of sight. Qutb View Apartments, the Govt Quarters of Katwaria Sarai and high rises of Munirka provide good views of this monument in my opinion. Some of the best views of this monument can also be seen from Mehrauli Archaeological Park and the Centre for History of JNU. These are places I have seen the minar from. In geographical terms, the monument is easily visible across a radius of 6-7 kilometers, provided there is a clear line of sight!

Qutub Minar, as seen from Mehrauli Archaeological Park

Qutub Minar, as seen from Metcalfe's Folly (opposite Jamali Kamali Mosque and Tomb, Mehrauli Archaeological Park)
Until my teenage days, I lived in South Delhi, in one of such colonies where, from the terrace, one could see the Qutub Minar anytime they wanted. I remember that my father was the one who showed me the monument and told me about it, from the roof of our apartment. Even at that time, I could not help but notice how the monument looked so intriguing. It looked like a bundle of reeds.

So, my point being that when you see a monument from your house and you grow up along with it, it is bound to have a profound impression on you. Moreover, the Qutub Minar does have the power to gravitate people to itself even if they are seeing it for the first time. I have been witness to this phenomenon. It's architecture, part Mamluk part Tughluq, the honey comb like designs under the balcony of the first floor of the minar, the calligraphic style of its inscriptions etc. all play a role in attracting a person to itself. The monument leaves the onlooker awestruck.

The Minar, as seen from the main road (outside the boundary wall of the Qutub Complex)

During the lockdown when I was stuck in my home, and could not visit any monument, I thought that all the residential colonies (with a line of view to the Qutub) are special. Reason being that these places offer a view of this marvelous monument 365 days a week. So, even if the residents of these places (especially those who love history), felt lockdown fatigue and missed visiting monuments as I did,  they could simply sit by their window, a glass of juice (or whatever drink they might want to have) in hand and enjoy the view of the Qutub. 

The benefit of being able to see Qutub Minar out of your window is that (apart from the daylight viewing) in the evening, the ASI lights up the monument beautifully. It is a delight to see the monument under lights. Depending on the occasion, the monument is lighted under different hues and colors. 

Seeing such a splendid light show, from across the forests of Sanjay Van (Qutub Minar is surrounded by forests from 3 sides, remember!) is a sight for sore eyes and would certainly wipe away lockdown blues of all kinds. 

Qutub Minar (the bright spot) as seen across the Neela Hauz (Lake), a part of Sanjay Van (forests). Off camera, it looks much larger of course!

When the lockdown ended, I would often take my bike out for evening drives to beat the lockdown blues. I would often ride to Qutub Minar to not only click pictures from outside but also to gaze at it and its distinctive architectural features. I would observe the additions made by Firoz Shah Tughluq (floors 4 and 5 of Qutub Minar was built by him) which are so different from the original architecture of the monument which was finalized by Mohammad Ghori and Mamluk rulers Qutb ud din Aibak and Iltutmish (floors 1 to 3). I would also observe the special lighting in the evening if any. The Qutub Minar height ensures that it is viewed even from Aruna Asaf Ali Road, across the Sanjay Van Forests. So, while riding my bike, I would often spot it from there too!. All this served as a catalyst to renew my inspiration to keep working towards my goal, to carve out a career in the world of history. An inspiration that has taken a lot of beating in the past four years due to my lack of success in cracking Ph.D. interviews. 

The Minar, at night.

Anyways, gazing at the Qutub Minar always cheers me up and serves to remind me of my love of history (medieval Indian history, to be precise). I just hope that I can stay in the world of history and don't have to leave it. The Qutub Minar stands for me to remind me as to why I am making the sacrifices I am making. The reason being that being a Delhiite,  I am enamored by the Medieval Indian era,  an era when the entire country was ruled from Delhi.

........

0 comments: